Melinda Doolittle

Monday, September 17, 2012

Smokey Joe's Cafe



So...here's the thing...I'm part of this AMAZING production of Smokey Joe's Cafe that opens THIS Thursday Sept. 20th and I thought I would tell you why you really want to come see this! It's a show full of singing HEFFAS...even the guys! ;-) I seriously sit in rehearsal every day wanting to throw my shoes at every single cast member. If my shoes weren't so dang cute, I might actually do it. On top of all of that, I get to sing my heart out! I have never been so stretched in a show to cover different genres, moods and notes. NEVER! It's so challenging and so much fun all at the same time.

Now, I know some of you are like...what in the world is Smokey Joe's Cafe? Well, it's a musical of revue of some of the best music out there written by Lieber & Stoller. If you don't know who I'm talking about...proceed to google immediately! They are the writers of huge Elvis hits like Treat Me Nice, Hound Dog and Jailhouse Rock...Doo Wop hits like Young Blood, Ruby Baby and Searchin'...Pop hits like I Keep Forgettin', Love Potion #9 and On Broadway...Blues hits like Trouble and I'm a Woman. Seriously, they are musical geniuses and that doesn't even begin to cover all the fabulous songs in this show. No talking...just singing...and you are guaranteed to be singing along all night!

Now on to this stellar cast! Meet my HEFFAS!

 Abner Ramirez
Amanda Ramirez

 Laura Matula
 Ryan Greenawalt
 Libby Hodges
 John-Mark McGaha
Harvey Hubert


*Abner and Amanda are the acclaimed duo JOHNNYSWIM. Their voices are sublime and they make every song come alive like you've never heard it before! Plus, they're the most adorable husband and wife ever!

*Laura's voice is capable of anything! I am not exaggerating. I seriously have not found something she can't do. It's my new mission in life.

*Ryan sings higher than me. This is not okay, but it's really impressive to watch. FYI: When I say he sings higher, I mean he's actually belting higher than me...this is not falsetto. I have some work to do. :-)

*Libby...let's just call her the blond Aretha Franklin! Her voice is bananas. Just you wait...you will be throwing shoes at the end of every. song. she. sings.

*John-Mark is the male version of Laura. Still haven't found what he can't do. His voice has so many colors to it...it really is breathtaking.

*Harvey quite possibly has the smoothest voice I've ever heard. Plus, he sings bass. Seriously...it's beyond gorgeous and I generally melt whenever I hear him up close...which creates a slight problem for our duet. :-/


So...your assignment is to head over to www.studiotenn.com and get your tickets RIGHT NOW. Trust me, the ticket price is WELL worth the show you will see. (You'll probably want to donate more after the show) I also suggest you come the first weekend because you're gonna want to see this one more than once. 

See you there! Oh...and make sure you say Hi to me after the show!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

SUPPORT Contact | Site Tools | Terms & Policies | Online Store
MORE Newsletter | RSS | MySpace | YouTube | Links
All Contents © 2008 Melinda Doolittle