Melinda Doolittle

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

4 Words...

THE. BEST. TOP. THREE. EVER!!!!

Today was a crazy busy day that ended with getting the chance to do an amazingly fun show at the 11th Annual Grammy Block Party here in Nashville. The Grammy foundation has this event every year (ok...duh! it's annual...sorry for stating the obvious). I never imagined that I would be performing though. It was so cool to be on that stage with my saaanging girls...Janet, Amy and Kelley. What an honor! What a night! What an experience!

However, I missed watching Idol when it came on, so I had to come home and watch it later. Amy already had plans, but Janet and Kelley watched with me, so you will get all of our opinions today. We pretty much agreed though. :-)

So...here go my thoughts for the best top 3 night in Idol history in my opinion. (I didn't clear that one with K&J)

Dance Little Sister
Ummm...still kinda trying to figure out exactly why Paula chose this particular song. Don't get me wrong, Paula is my girl and I love how much she believes in the contestants, but...
My heart kinda went out to Danny because this song required him to kind of go back to his yelling ways, and then there was that very interesting scat solo in the middle. I loved his energy though and I'm so impressed with his ability to give that song all he had even though it was a weird choice.

Apologize
Before I proceed with this one, I have a quick question. Why didn't they do the "judges choice" episode during the Top 4 since there are now 4 judges? Just wondering...
I thought this song was great. I thought Kris sounded great once he got into the song and I was extremely happy for him. That is, until the judges completely confused me. I thought the main purpose of the judges choosing a song was for them to choose something that fit the contestant perfectly. I understand wanting Kris to change it up to fit his style, but what if he felt that song already matched him without changing it? We all know he is fully capable of making a song his own. This song just happened to be Kris ready, I thought. Even Randy said he should do an album just like it. I know I'm rambling, but I'm still a bit confused. Anyway...I really liked it. Oh! And that ending was gorgeous!

One
DUDE!!!!! That's skill. That's artistry. That's perfection! I mean, I actually jumped to my feet for the majority of the performance and didn't sit down until the commercial came on. That was a great choice by Simon and an even greater performance by Adam. Coming from the best vocal coach in the world (Janet Kenyon)...she was so impressed with his ability to start off tender, ten blow us away and end up going right back to that amazing tender sound. That's really hard to do and he nailed it. Also, I'm not sure how anyone can call him scary when he has the best attitude. The fact that he credited the song's lyrics for why it was so beautiful speaks volumes. He never takes full credit. Amazing!

Carrie in Africa! What a touching segment. For anyone wanting to know more about helping to eradicate malaria and provide bed nets, please either visit malaria no more from my homepage or go directly to their site malarianomore.org. This organization is very dear to my heart. Also, if you haven't purchased my CD yet, you can get it here on the website and a portion of the proceeds will go to malaria no more also. It doesn't matter how you do it, just get involved! :-)

You Are So Beautiful
Gorgeous!!! I loved this version of this song. It seriously was like a worship song and I thought it was amazing. I was so excited to hear Danny just sing and leave it all out on the stage. As partial as I am to the original version of this song, it was great to hear another take on it. Danny seriously nailed it and I really thought he secured a position in the finale until...

Heartless
Was anyone else nervous when they heard his song choice? I was, but I was quickly shut up as soon as Kris started singing and playing that guitar. It was phenomenal!!! What else can I say??? I think it was soooooo perfect! Janet wished the band would come in, but Kelley and I agreed it was perfect just the way he did it. I really think he deserves that finale spot for his beautiful voice, his innovativeness and his cute black shirt. Hehehe...

Cryin'
First of all, if you don't know me, Aerosmith is one of my very favorite bands. I think Steven Tyler is out of this world and I am such a fan. That being said, Adam is now my hero...not just for knocking that song out of the park, but for also giving Steven Tyler credit for being brilliant. Adam is a very gracious contestant and I was also blown away by how he credited Kris and Danny for being wonderful at what they do too. This was an amazing Top 3 and he didn't take that for granted.

So...all in all...this was an amazing night. I wish we could have heard them do 3 songs just because they were that good. This will be a hard week, but I'm going to go with Adam and Kris in the finale. I'm not counting Danny out because I thought he was awesome. I'm just saying what I think for now. The coolest part about this Top 3 is that I could hear every single one of their CDs in my head tonight. I will buy all 3 immediately and I'm sure I will love them all. Can you tell I loved tonight???

What did you think? Who in the world is going home? Who makes the finale???

Last question...Are you as excited as I am to hear Jordin do her new single on the results show??? Battlefield is such an awesome song. If you haven't downloaded it, you have to go get it. You're gonna love it!

Love ya'll!!!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for the choice for Danny, I think Danny left us a clue. He said that the song was on "the list". I'm guessing that the judges didn't have a very long list of songs to choose from. That's one of those hidden things that you know about, Melinda. There isn't an unlimited choice in terms of material and that's gotten more acute the last 2 seasons in particular.

May 13, 2009 at 12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I probably wrong again. lol
I think will be Kris this time. Danny have a strong base fans

May 13, 2009 at 4:02 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Tonight was unbelievable.... I gotta admit. Adam blew it out of the water....... He certainly Deserves to win, but who knows...

Danny--hadnt ever heard that 1st song... felt kinda sorry for him cause he had never heard of it either..... You are so beautiful---I agree Melinda-it was kinda like a worship song--had that churchy feeling.

Kris--i am now a BIG Kris fan... WOW...... Fearless was sooooooooo cool..... to be honest since Melinda left I havent bought any of the performances from Itunes--but think I will buy that one...

Adam-- he is just Perfect... I did love the way he gives credit to whom it is due... I am impressed by that... When I heard what he was singing by Aerosmith.. my little tv sound went WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY up.... I think my neighbor heard the song....

Who knows what is gonna happen tonight..... I sure dont.. My guess

top 2 is Adam and Kris.... We will see......

May 13, 2009 at 4:41 AM  
Blogger Jay Iacobucci said...

I thought that Adam was a bit over the top on both of his performances. I think I am the only in the country that feels that way though. When I think of artistry I think of your cd. Your cd is terrific!

What's with you not being on any of the result shows? I am almost as disappointed as when I was a couple of years ago.

May 13, 2009 at 7:05 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

But where is the talk of the outward bias toward Adam...the way they have planned the last few shows, the plea for people to vote for him....I don't know. I used to like him but that has worn off. I wish the judges would give their opinions and leave it at that and give a 3 a fair shot. I would love a Danny and Kris final...it would be the best ever. Their voices are perfection.

May 13, 2009 at 7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand that these three guys have a LOT of talent, but I still don't like this season as much as I have in the past. I think I'm in the minoritiy here, but I can't help it! I'm too attached to 5,6, and 7!

My favorite of the night was most definatley Kris with "Heartless". I thought it showed that he can not only sing, but is an amazing musician. I agree with you and Kelley that he did it perfectly, stripped down. Loved it! I'm not usually all about Kris but that was amazing.

Next would be Adam's "One". Beautiful, loved it, brilliant as usual. HOWEVER, I wish that he would have toned down one of his performances tonight, and I think this should have been it. By the end of both his performances, I thought it was a bit much.

Then comes Danny "You are So Beautiful". I am usually very anti- Danny but I LOVED this. If he had performed like this all season I think I'd feel differently about him.

Next in the ranking is Adam's "Cryin'". I thought of you when he sang this. Like I said before I thought both tonight were a bit much, so if he had toned down "One", I would have liked this better. Still amazing, though.

Then comes Kris "Apologize" and Danny "Dance Little Sister". Didn't think much either way of these performances. I agree with you that the judges made no sense on Kris' choice. Oh well!

Can I just say that you are the most compassionate person ever? To mention Carrie and how else to help with Malaria is just so you, and shows what kind of amazing poerson you are :)

I really have no idea who will be in the finale. At this point I'm thinking Kris and Adam, but who knows!

I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE JORDIN!!! I love that girl and I am so proud of her, as I'm sure you are. I haven't seen her in so long :( I love the new single and cannot wait to see her perform live again.

Also, Chikezie will be on "Idol Tonight" on TV Guide. Just saying. hehe.

Love you!

May 13, 2009 at 8:22 AM  
Blogger Desiree said...

Definitely lots of talent in the top three but I miss Allison. I don't really have a strong preference for any of the remaining contestants so I guess I'll just enjoy the surprise of seeing who makes the Finale. Oh and I'm going to try and spot hopper on TV. :-)

May 13, 2009 at 9:26 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I personally enjoyed Danny's two performances a lot, which his 2nd being amazing. I thought he did better overall than Kris. Kris was good on his first song but it was kinda boring to me. I had no idea what was going on with his 2nd until about the middle of the song. Between the two, I just think Danny is more Idol-ish than Kris.

I'd like to see Adam and Danny in the final. You're right, all three are amazing talents. It's nice they have different styles so they don't overlap a lot and you can like them all easily. Adam is amazing.

Oh, and I agree, why didn't they do judges pick last week? Oh well, someone has to go tonight and next week should be awesome!

May 13, 2009 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger annabbgood said...

You are always so right on, Melinda!!! I LOVE LOVE LOOOVEE these blogs!! Although, I will disagree on one thing. I want it to be a Danny
and Adam finale! I am so worried that Adam will get out tonight.. :( I love what he said about him being so gracious. He really is such a sweet guy. I wish people would realize that! and I hate when people says all he does is "scream". Well, whatever you call it, it is always right on pitch and he doesn't always do that. The beginning of "One" was just so beautiful and was in a lower key then he has ever done and I LOVED IT! I kinda wish that was how it was all through it, but it was still awesome!

May 13, 2009 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I pretty much agree with you, except about Adam's take on "One". I LOVED how he started it, but when he got to the bridge I freaked -and not in a good way. As Randy said, he was off on some notes (and I can't believe I'm writing this). "Crazy" however was very good althoug I think the backup wasn't on his same pitch -but being in Adam's pitch seems really tough.

I think who stole the show was Kris. "Apologize" was a song made for him to sing, but "Heartless" was unbelievably good. Just amazing. Period.

Danny was pretty good. But I think it was a little (just a little) Karaoke. The thing about him is that he comes up as stuck up, and though the "dude can really sing", I cannot relate to him. He's failed to connect on so many songs that his performances no longer impress me.

Having said that, I agree with you. This has been one of the best Top 3 ever (Although I must say there's still a place in my heart for your "I believe in you and me").

May 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM  
Blogger Kacie said...

I loved it too, Melinda! I am blown away by the top three and how they each have their unique niche. I'm still pulling for Kris!

May 13, 2009 at 8:37 PM  
Blogger nQw said...

Melinda the way you wrote your post...it's so you, omg...LOL, you still sound so humble...haha

May 17, 2009 at 2:26 AM  
Blogger Luckymom22 said...

WHY have you not been on any of the results shows???? If it's your choice, fine, but if it's because you haven't been invited, then it's a huge oversight. You're the best female vocalist that has been on Idol, and it's a travesty that you have not been welcomed back in a big way (if indeed that's the case). Love u (can you tell?)

May 19, 2009 at 12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Melinda,

Just wanted to draw your attention to a blog entry I wrote for our newspaper's "American Idol" blog, called The Idolholics.

Here's the link.

Hope you enjoy!

May 19, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

SUPPORT Contact | Site Tools | Terms & Policies | Online Store
MORE Newsletter | RSS | MySpace | YouTube | Links
All Contents © 2008 Melinda Doolittle